Esterbrook ‘s Amazing History
1858, Richard Esterbrook renamed his pen company, Esterbrook Steel Pen Manufacturing Company in conjunction with a move of the factory to Camden, New Jersey.
1862 Esterbrook moves his company to 75 John St in NYC. A few years later he moves to 49 Maiden Lane. Then, a few years after that, he moves to 26 John St and stays put for the next 30 years.
By 1865, the company had grown to become one of the largest pen makers in the world. 1879, Esterbrook publishes their first printed catalog. By 1896, Esterbrook opened an additional manufacturing plant in Birmingham, England. In 1912, a remarkable five story building is erected for pen manufacturing. In 1918, Esterbrook advertising claims they are manufacturing an astonishing 200 million pens each year. 1967 saw the brand acquired by the Venus Pencil Company. Four years later, all Esterbrook operations ceased in 1971.
Since 1858, the Esterbrook brand has featured fountain pens. You’d think after 160 years they’d produce a pretty fine pen! They do. Try one for yourself and be a part of this American tradition.